Applications are usually accepted from January through April. Decisions are usually made in July. The program is open to self-identified Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender graduating high school seniors meeting the prescribed criteria. Family members and mentors are encouraged to work with applicants to help ensure their submissions are complete.
The applicant must:
- Be an openly self identified member of the LGBT Community
- Be graduating from high school in the year he / she applies for a scholarship.
- Be a United States Citizen or be a legal immigrant.
- Be attending an accredited college, university, or vocational school within the United States or Canada. Proof of acceptance is required.
- Provide an OFFICIAL copy of his / her high school transcript showing a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better using a 4.0 scale or equivalent. Weighted average can be used in this calculations. If the applicant’s high school does not use a numerical grading system, then a complete description of the measures of success and requirements for graduation is required.
- Complete 2 personal essays as outlined on the application form.
- Provide at least 2 letters of recommendation from non-family members.
- Prepare a detailed list of community involvement. “Extra-Credit” is given to those activities and leadership roles relating directly to the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender communities.
- Sign an acknowledgement form agreeing to the outlined terms and conditions of the application. (See application form)
Currently the LEAGUE Foundation has 3 awards for consideration and each student application is automatically reviewed for each.
The three awards are:
- The Laurel Hester Memorial Scholarship (1 award annually)
- The Matthew Shepard Memorial Scholarship (1 award annually)
- The Stonewall Empowerment Scholarship (1 award annually)
- The LEAGUE Foundation Scholarship (up to 9 awards annually)
All decisions of the selection committee are final. Scholarship proceeds are sent directly to the school where the applicant will be attending. Funds are not given directly to the student.
Questions regarding the application process can be directed to info@LEAGUEFoundation.org.